Walking on Wednesday ~ What Running Has Taught Me ~ Keep Your Form

I know there are a gazillion websites and blogs that talk about the greatness of running. I read them too.

But since I have started running again, after my 3 month break, I have learned some valuable life lessons. Each lesson is great for running, but can be translated into every-day life as well. I will be sharing these life lessons with you while training for the Jingle Bell Run, which I am participating in on December 7th. (Donate HERE).

Today, I must stress the importance of keeping your form.

The Proper Form.
I actually researched this online, because I knew felt so awkward running. I noticed as I ran by the furniture store downtown, which has full windows across the entire block, that I looked goofy and that I made it look awkward so I set to find out how to run better.

There are loads of pictures, articles, videos, etc. I recommend reading and looking at some of these, as I did. 

What I am telling you here is a condensed version showing how they also benefit your real, everyday life, when you are not running.
Strive For This!
source: Rock Creek Runner
LIFE LESSON ~ Keep Your Form ~ in all ways, at all times.
No matter how tired you are, how you want to give up, don't lose your form. If you do, you will tire faster, and be much less efficient. For me, the more efficient I am the better! I am getting old, remember, and it takes me much more energy to run like most people normally run, so this is very important to me. When I lose form, and become a lazy runner, I actually tire faster. 

In everything else in your life, it is just as important to keep your form. No matter what stresses you must deal with, no matter what stupid people you come in contact with, you need to keep your true form, not fly off the handle and get crazy, or lazy. Stay true to yourself, true to your form.

~ Remember the Head
Head up, look forward. In running this keeps your body in line and doesn't stress your neck. 
source
In the rest of your life, keeping your head up, looking forward keeps your mind focused on what's ahead, not below or behind. 

~ Get Your Stride Right
Not too big, not too small, just right. Not that we are Goldilocks, but in essence don't over do or under do. At first I was under-doing. And now, after reviewing all this again, I believe I might be over-doing! 
source
Like the poster says, the same pace as Outkast's Hey Ya. Actually, in my humble opinion, this song makes ANYthing in life that much better. Doesn't it just make you want to 'shake it like a Polaroid picture'? (Even tho you ARE NOT supposed to do that...)

~ Keep Your Shoulders Relaxed
I have found, when running, if I make sure my shoulders are relaxed, it helps me breathe better and keeps me from slouching. (I am a sloucher). It actually does make it easier to run!

It is so important to try breathe normal. If it is hard to breathe, slow down until you breathe easier and pick it back up again. You won't get there any faster if you can't breathe. 

In anything else in life, deep breaths help keep you relaxed. While you exhale that deep breath, your shoulders relax, you are less stressed, you can think with a clear head. 

And slouching is just ugly, plus does nothing but hurt your back. That's why mom always said sit up straight.

~Pay Attention To Yourself. 
This is good advice - Period. 
If you leg hurts bad, slow down and walk. If you can't breathe right, slow down and walk. If you want to take that hill, take it!

If you need time to yourself, take it. If you are tired, sleep. If something is bothering you, get it off your chest. If ice cream sounds so lovely, go ahead and have a little. (actually, ice cream DOES sound lovely, I think I will have some.....) If you want a lunch with your friends, go do it. Take that extra long shower, get that pedicure, go get that massage - treat yourself! Pay attention to yourself.
source: Pinterest

We strive to be the best we can be, in running and in life. Sometimes it is all we can do to just keep our form. And sometimes it is just keeping our form that gets us through the tough runs, and tough times. 

~Don't Forget Your Hips.
Don't pull a Miley (see How to Improve Your Running Form above, hips)
I think this excellent advice that spills over into everyday life. Don't pull a Miley, most importantly, avoid sticking your butt out, and your tongue. Just sayin'. 

What other advice could you add about keeping your form, in life as well as running? I bet you have thought of some while running, or in real life. Share!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread