Yarn Bombing here in Weaverville??

Driving the kids to school last week (when they missed the bus...again....) I was shocked and amused to see this on Main Street right here in little ole' Weaverville. Yarn bombing!

Then I wondered if I should have been in on it! I sort of felt left out!! But really, I wouldn't have had the time, energy, much less skill to be part of this wacky tradition that pops up every now and then.

At least I can enjoy it. It really is spectacular to think all this time and effort goes into letting the general public get a kick out of what is covered in yarn. And to think about what they heck it is over the rails of the Library? Wacky.



Today the only thing left was the bench cover. No Teddy bear, no garbage can cover, nothing left of the rest of it, just the bench cover. And it had just poured rain for the last 3 or 4 hours, so it was soaking wet. 

This left me wondering what happens to yarn bombed things over time. Do people take the yarn, and if so who? Do people steal it and take the memento home? And if so WHY?? Is there a yarn bomb graveyard where the yarn goes?
Was there a little one missing the teddy bear so she came and got it back? 
Ponder THAT today....where does the yarn go after yarn-bombed items fade? Yarn Heaven? Or Yarn Hell (the garbage)? OR Is is unraveled until the next yarn bombing? Either way, I think I miss the splash of color, the whimsy, and the daring ladies who take their chances with this form of 'vandalism'. (it is still illegal, but seldom prosecuted)

I say you go get 'em, all you knitters and crocheters - as I like to say this isn't your Grandma's crochet or knit! Whoot Whoot!

Comments

  1. Yarn bombing is new to me. I don't think I"d get into it if just for that, what DOES happen to it over time? I like to have my projects preserved and useful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread