I love slow cooker meals (I have raved about them before). There is nothing better than coming home from work with dinner ready. No stress for me and a wonderful meal to enjoy with the family.
For this meal you will need:
|Big Ass Chicken|
- One whole Chicken (I got a big ass chicken from Sams Club)
- garlic (powder and fresh)
- chicken seasoning
- crushed red pepper
- chicken broth
Now I don't measure much when I cook, so bear with this recipe. I will try to guess how much I used, but really the seasonings are totally up to you. We may like things more seasoned (and spicier) than you. So edit as you and your family like.
1. Prep the chicken. I got this big ass chicken from Sam's Club. Why is everything over-sized there? Anyway, clean the chicken, which for me means taking all the skin off. Too much fat, and don't worry, the chicken broth later will add enough to make this tender and juicy.
2. Chop your onion. (1 small onion.)
|Naked Chicken and chopped onion|
4. Now that your chicken is naked, put the chicken in the slow cooker and season. Season with salt and pepper to cover, easier on the pepper. Season with as much crushed red pepper as your family can handle. Use about a tablespoon of thyme and Rosemary, and sprinkle on the chicken. Sprinkle about one teaspoon of garlic powder on the chicken (the chopped garlic will go on in a minute). Sprinkle one teaspoon of chicken seasoning on as well. (I figured the broth would add the rest of the chicken flavor).
|chopped garlic, broth, and spices I used|
6.Turn on the slow cooker and go about your day. Cook for 8 hours on low, 4 hours on high. (We will roast some more asparagus to go with dinner closer to dinner time.)
|Now it's time to let it cook!|
|Wondra is the best.|
|Add water to the center of the flour, mix,|
and then more as necessary to get the right consistency.
Feel free to get creative here. I had my son help me and we had several different shaped dumplings. Poop shaped (he named), cow patty shaped (I named), ring shaped, fish shaped, man shaped (his creation, was half a man by the time dinner was ready, lol. he broke into 2 pieces.), question marked, diamond shaped, and I don't even know what else. Have some fun.
|Just some of the crazy shapes|
11. Make some rice to serve under the chicken and dumplings.
12. Roast some more asparagus.To roast, lay on baking sheet, spray with olive oil cooking spray, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast in 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes if you like it crunchy still.
|We like asparagus crunchy, |
so we roast separately and serve on the side.
13. Serve and enjoy!
|I started eating before I remember to snap a picture for you all.|
It was so good.
I absolutely loved how this meal turned out. I also loved how it was nearly done when I got home from work, and how my son made it even more fun to finish off.
|Leftovers are just as good!|
Do you have any great slow cooker recipes that you have changed to make more healthy, and fit your family better? Share the love please!