Music Monday! Today Is Mine

Today is a day of remembering. A day of appreciation. A day we think of those we have lost who have given us a gift so precious.

My father, before he left for the war.
Today, I have been thinking about my father, who gave us this gift. He served in WWII in the Armored Division. He entered the war on the beaches of France, and traveled across Europe until they reached Germany. He never spoke about the war to us kids. He always became quiet and pensive when the topic came up. 
My father, on some R&R
 in France during the war.














After he passed away, we found these pictures and learned little bits about his time serving his country. We finally understood ~ he was protecting us from the horrors of war. 

He served his time so his world, and his future children could be safe. It was as simple as that and there was no need to discuss.

It got me to thinking how 'small and unimportant all my troubles seems to be, and how lucky another day belongs to me'. Jerry Reed wrote and sung it so beautifully. 

In memory of all who have given us a gift we can never repay, I give you this song today. We can only 'take each day as it comes and live the best way we can'.

Today Is Mine
When the sun came up this morning I took the time to watch it rise.
As its beauty struck the darkness from the skies.
I thought how small and unimportant all my troubles seem to be,
and how lucky another day belongs to me.
And as the sleepy world around me woke up to greet the day,
and all its silent beauty seemed to say:
So what, my friend, if all your dreams you haven`t realized.
Look around, you got a whole new day to try.
Today is mine, today is mine, to do with what I will.
Today is mine. My own special cup to fill.
To die a little that I might learn to live.
And take from life that I might learn to give.
Today is mine.
With all men I curse the present that seems void of peace of mind,
and race my thoughts beyond tomorrow and vision there more peace of mind.
But when I view the day around me I can see the fool I`ve been.
For today is the only garden we can tend.
Today is mine, today is mine, to do with what I will.
Today is mine. My own special cup to fill.
To die a little that I might learn to live.
And take from life that I might learn to give.
Today is mine.
~Jerry Reed

Comments

  1. What a wonderful post! Thanks to your dad and all the other folks who've given their service to our country! Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Rebecca, thank you for sharing and remembering. It's very special ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. my dad never talked about the war either. I still miss him. I'm a new follower and found you from the Journey of handmadefuzzy blog on Zibbet. You and I have a lot in common. I grew up in Tonawanda NY, and now live in Stony Point, NC
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Debbie! I am so glad you stopped by here. SMALL WORLD! We used to go to the Riviera Theater all the time! And now you are just 'down the road'. Glad to have you as a new follower.

    And thanks to everyone else who took the time to read this, and comment. We owe so much to our soldiers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread