Weekend Musings ~ Mango Madness

This year, we had the mangos come a wee bit earlier than last year.
And (thankfully) not quite as many mangos.
This year, I wasn't sure how I would be able to keep up with the mangos.
Working full time doesn't leave much time for jam during the week, and mangos don't wait until the weekend to be ready.
So that is why this year I am thankful we are getting them off at a more mangeable rate.
About 1 - 3 every day or so.

An amount I can deal with, even with the gifted Carrie Mangos from my SIL.
Then, yesterday, my sister-in-law gave us a bag full of Carrie Mangos. I had a slight panic moment. How am I going to use all these mangos?? Ours are Valencia Pride mangos, my favortie for just pealing and eating. Carries I have to figure out what to put in, because I don't like eating them outright much. A slightly different flavor, and texture. Still good mangos, don't get me wrong! But I will use them in something, just have to decide what that will be.

I have been battling with the 'jammed out' feeling. I just can't get the gumption to make jam. It is an effort I just am not excited about at this time. A little internal battle I am having. It is added to the battle I have about not wanting to be in the kitchen much. So nothing complicated, time consuming, or particularly messy, please.

I have spent the weekend brainstorming for ideas on how to use mangos.
I saw fish in the freezer, and Mango Salsa popped in my head.
A simple salsa, of course.
What is left of the Mango Salsa.
Sorry, only thought to snap a picture after the meal. It was so good, we ate all but that little bit. So little effort for some big flavor. It was more a star of the meal than the fish.
Here are the ingredients for my simple salsa:
  • Mango
  • onion
  • hot pepper flakes
  • lime juice
  • parsley

That's it. Mainly because I didn't have cilantro, or red or green peppers, the typical additions to a mango salsa. I used what I had. And three of us ate four mangos worth of salsa with out fish, rice, and beans dinner.

But I had more mangos. What esle could I do? I didn't have enough butter for mango cobbler, nor the energy to make it. Not up for the mango bread either. So what was simple, uses mangos, and delicious?
Duh, Milk and Mangos, what is easier than that? 

Milkshakes! Of course!
We now have a constant supply of milk, thanks to my daughter who requires it for her coffee. I used to have a hard time getting through a half gallon of milk by myself, but with her here we go through gallons. So because there was a full gallon in the fridge, it was so easy to just pop the mango in the blender and pour some milk on it.
Thick and creamy shake. YUM.

This morning, I added a squeeze of lime, and more ice cubes. So easy.
And filling. It is like a full meal in a glass.

I did little else but think about mangos, and eat mangos. Mango madness!! I will be searching for mango ideas the rest of the day, week probably. Until there are no more mangos falling off the tree.
There are worse ways to spend the days, right?

If you have any mango ideas, let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread