Best Laid Plans for Apple Cake

I tried.
Finally.
Had this recipe up for almost a week, vowing to make this delicious concoction of healthy apples and sweet cinnimon, so easy, no dairy so safe for Hubby.

I procrastinated, as I am prone to do, and have blogged about many, many times. But finally decided that I would be Miss Accomplishment and bake it before work today.

I put on some music, and began the mixing and cutting of apples, wondering why I don't spend more time baking and cooking. It is these simple pleasures that I want to bring more to the forefront of my life. There has been too much negativity, fighting, and just plain unpleasantness going on, yet while I was mixing and cutting to music, it all fell away and I was relaxed and enjoying the process.


The apples and cinnamon smelled so good, the apples weren't browning, I stirred often. The wet mixture was ready.

Then all that was left was the dry ingredients - and only two of them. I was in the homestretch with time to spare. I pull the flour out of the cupboard and it was....well....alive! Lots of little tiny things were moving about, a pile of them at the bottom of the bag that had apparently lived out their lives and died in a pile. When I put the flour in there, in a Ziplock bag, there were no tiny brown things in it. Right then, it was teeming with them.


With the clock showing I did not have time to run to store, finish this, then shower and get to work, I bitched a little (okay more than a little...I was finally getting this done and now THIS?), and then covered the wet ingredients and put them in the fridge, resigned to getting new flour at the store on my lunch hour.

Lunch hour came and I totally forgot. So then I resigned to get after work. Well, you can guess I didn't feel like going out to the store after work. The next day, rinse and repeat. So finally, after 2 days in the fridge, the wet ingredients were mixed with new flour with no little things moving about, and the baking soda and into the oven it went.

The verdict from Hubby: It's like Apple and Cinnamon Brownies!

I would say, a success after all. Plus, the wise words of my Mother-In-Law will now stick with me "You have to keep the flour in the fridge, that is the only way." Though I do wonder if all that does is chill to death the little crawling things that must have been in there to start....I guess we will never know.

Here is the recipe for those who would like "Apple Cinnamon Brownies" or probably more aptly named Apple Cake. Use unmoving flour and you will love this with a nice cup of tea.

Apple Cake
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 heaping teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup oil
6 medium Gala or Fuji or Honey Crisp apples
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, cinnamon and oil. Peel and slice the apples and add to mixture in bowl (coating as you go to keep apples from turning brown.) Mix together the baking powder and flour and add to the ingredients in the bowl. Mix well (best with a fork) until all of the flour is absorbed by the wet ingredients. Pour mixture into a greased one 9x13 or two 9″ round pans. Bake for approximately 55 minutes.

Perhaps not the prettiest, but it did taste yummy. It is almost gone, and I finished it yesterday. Not bad for a disaster of a start. And the most important thing is, no extra protein from tiny little creepy crawlies. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread