Walking on Wednesday ~ I Just Keep Runn-Innnggg

I was never a good runner.  My sister, she was the runner.
 
Being younger than her, I was the tag-a-long, I was the copy cat, and usually it drove her crazy. So when she discovered she was a good runner, I followed her and ran too.

 
I soon discovered, way back in middle school, that running wasn't for me. I always finished last, and dang it hurt! I was much better suited in the pool, where I always loved to be since I could remember. (I was the one who stayed in our family pool until my lips turned blue.)

 
Add to that a knee injury I got while playing indoor soccer, running was not for me!

 
This was reinforced a few years ago when my daughter was on the cross country team. I tried to run with her, and hurt me knees so bad I could not make it up a flight of stairs. That ended running for me altogether.

 
So now you know I am not one of those natural runners, one of those die-hard, 'isn't running great?', 'everyone should run' cheerleaders.
 
Until recently. 

 
I have been walking almost every day since March, trying to get fit, lose some pounds, and just feel better. My knee could handle walking. But a few weeks ago I thought I would add a wee bit of running to my walk.

 
And it felt great! Do you know why it felt great? 

Because when I was running, my thoughts became focused, my worries became challenges to tackle, my stresses were relieved.
 
When I was running I was accomplishing something that had always been difficult for me. I set small goals - just run to the next corner - and when I reached that corner I felt like I won! I reached that corner, and felt like I could reach the next one too. 

It wasn't JUST about running, it was about the mind-set. It is about focus, determination, and not about just running. 
 
So now, I just keep running. Because it honestly feels better when I am done. Yes, some days it hurts, sometime I am breathing so heavy I think my longs are going to explode. Some days I start out thinking, 'today I am just going to walk', but after the first 5 minutes of walking, I get the urge to pick up the pace. Because... well... why not? Because I CAN! 

My knees are doing great too, which surprises the heck out of me. 
 
So I just keep running. It helps me stay focused, it helps me get through the rest of the day. Especially since some days that is the only really good thing I can say about the day, that I ran. 

 
I just keep running. I will keep running too. It is now something I almost need to do. I need that focus, that clearing of the mind, if only for a half hour, if only once a day. And the good thing is, I FEEL like running. Even if I start out feeling like walking, I feel the need to run.

 
I will keep running, because I just feel like Runnn-Innnng.

Comments

  1. You made me smile. I have never been a runner, until now, but what has kept me running is that it's my reset button, when I'm running I can conquer anything, and until people feel that, they won't understand why I keep going! I'm so glad to see that someone else has discovered how amazing it is!! Keep going! You're doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Running is hard, and it must be nice to have gotten into the grove where enjoy going for a run. After knee surgery on both knees, I am happy to get out for a brisk walk 3 days a week. You post has inspired me, maybe it's time to try for 4 day a week. Thanks
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a runner. Never had to in school, but was forced to in the Navy. I think that's why I hate it so much - being forced to do it. I'm glad you have found it in a positive light, though. We all need that one thing which brings focus and a desire to keep moving forward. Running is not that thing for me, though.
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread