Walking on Wednesday - Sometimes a Walk is Just a Walk!

I forget that sometimes. Sometimes I try to make it more than that. My multi-tasking goes too far. I consider my walks 'working walks' far too often.

I grab the camera and think 
I gotta take some pictures today, 
I gotta get some good ones for the blog.

Instead of just walking, I search for great shots, I stop often, I am absorbed in trying to take pictures.

Or I make the walk about why I am walking. 
I ate too much ice cream, 
I need to do that extra hill today, 
and those cookies, take it a bit faster!

Often I set out on my walk with the tasks. 
What am I going to write about today? 

I spend the walk writing in my head, actually working out the script. 

Other days I am consumed with what to create. 
How am I going make that new Toekini
How is that necklace going to work without being too bulky? 
What is the best way to design that matching bracelet
And those Jellyfish! 
Oh, and I gotta finish those jellies, 
but how many tentacles are too many? 

Then there's the days the walks are just to deliver stock to the gift shop, or to get to the pet store to get the birds their food. Chores!


What about the walks that are consumed with thoughts of all the chores I have to do? All the undone things on my list, which is quite long actually. The things I have put off doing 
- Oh I gotta get to that burlap sitting untouched (how is that wallet going to go or how am I going to make a bag out of burlap?)
- I have to finish those questions for Handmadefuzzy's blog. (how am I going to talk about myself again? (How am I going to get what is in my head out without sounding goofy?)
Oh I really gotta clean out my sons tee shirt drawer. (he is going to college in the fall and has shirts in there that fit him when he was a Freshman in High School).

I carry the weight of my world on my shoulders on my walks. And it is tough to get out the door some days with all that weight. 

This week, I decided to just leave that weight at home. I couldn't get through the door with all that weight. It was tough enough to just get through the door. 

I needed to just walk. Leave all those chores, obligations, stress, right here at home. No camera, no worries of writing.

JUST WALK.

When I just walked, I noticed things that have escaped me before. 

Like the great smell that comes from the elementary school. 
What is that smell? 
That is lunch cooking - smells yummy!

Or the sounds all around.
Listen to that! 
Those doves cooing, wow, that is a beautiful sound.
So relaxing really. 

The sights, beautiful and just for me - no worries of getting a picture of it.
Look at that cloud! 
It is right at eye level hovering low on the next hill. 
If only my arms were long enough, 
I could just reach out and touch it.

The simple thing of interacting with those around me.
Hello little doggy! 
Yes, my poor puppy is terrified of you,
even tho you are half her size. 

I will stop and smell the flowers!
Hey, look at those flowers in the middle of that field.
Are they weeds? 
Beautiful weeds if they are weeds. 

A walk should be just that - just a walk to walk. Nothing else. 
There is plenty of time to deal with that to work, that list, that chore. 

Why complicate such a simple thing? 
A walk should be just a walk. Life is complicated enough. 


So from now on, my walks will be just that. 
We all should make our walks, and lives, just that.

Simple, not over-though, not worried about, no stressful multi-tasking. 
Simple....

Simple as a flower. 
And that's a complicated thing.................

Comments

  1. You wrote a great truth...we all need to slow down and JUST do the activity at hand and not always multi-task...breathe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great blog Rebecca. We all are guilty of over doing, multi-tasking and such. We definately need to remember and appreciate the simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very *right on* Rebecca! We all truly need to do this more. The complexity of life can be overwhelming for certain. Sometimes we really do just need to simple walk to clear our heads, not fog them up more! Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I just "start walking," I might never look back:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are woman, Hear us roar.....

    Could we really live without multi-tasking, or without a dozen other must-dos, have-to-dos running around in our minds? It's not in MY make-up, and I LOVE and AGREE with everything you have put to paper today; I will make a greater effort to find the simple flower in me.

    Thank you, dear heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a timely post for me. I soooo need to make a walk just a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean. When I leave for the gym all I can think about is all the stuff I have to do and want to do. But once I get there I let go of all that stuff in my head and it becomes about what exercise I am going to do, how much weight am I going to lift. Being at the gym become about exercising.

    I think it's great that you are now enjoying your walks and the beauty around you. That is the best part of walking outside is all there is to see and enjoy.

    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread