Weekend Musings ~ Write those notes

I always thought a note in a lunch was a fun way to let the kids know I was thinking of them, and that they should smile, or have a good day, or have fun, etc. I even leave notes for my hubby to find throughout the day, just for fun.
But I never thought my little notes were anything more than a little written hug - to be enjoyed at that moment, and then tossed away. They were often messy, on scrap paper, I mean nothing fancy here. 

Sometimes, I (try to) draw a little something, but the 'talented artist' gene is not with me. Usually my signature 'happy face with a curl' is all they get. 
Never did I think they were worth saving. I never meant them to be saved, actually. It was always meant for a quick reminder, to be thrown out with the lunch bag. I never had anything profound to say, just a 'hey I love ya!', or a 'Enjoy your day', or 'SMILE', or something like that.

When my daughter moved back home after college, I had the chance again to leave her little notes. She had started her working life after college, staying at home to save up some money and pay off her school debt. We loved having her around, and sometimes I would pack her lunch, bringing back memories of how it used to be such a chore, but I did it anyways because the kids hated the school lunches, and tried to add a smiley face note in so they knew the lunch was packed with love. 

So of course, to her grown up lunches, I added a little scrap note to remind her life is good. To remind her it is just a job when it got stressful. To remind her she is doing great, even if it doesn't always feel that way. Little notes to be read, bring a smile, then tossed.

Scrap notes saved, whodathunk they were worth saving? 
But, as she was packing to move out, and on to (hopefully) better things, I went in her room to see if she needed help, and she was packing a book that was bursting with paper. She shyly showed me a pile of my notes that I had left for her. She saved them! And was packing them to move on with her!! 

I didn't make a big deal out of it (outwardly...inside I was shocked and deeply touched), and said 'you don't have to save these, babes'. She simply said, 'well, I want to', and then she quickly packed them away.

So, apparently they touched her - in a way I could not anticipate. I mean, she is carrying scrap paper with scribbles and terribly drawn smiley faces with her in an airplane over thousands of miles. 

That says it all, I think. 

So I say, write those notes! Just scribble something and throw it in their bags, lunches, cell phone case, wherever! 

You just don't know how your small effort will impact someone. Your small effort can mean more than you know. 

Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread