Angel Food Cupcakes and Other Necessary Creations

Yes, you read that right.
I made Angel Food Cupcakes.
Yes, they were from a box, and all I had to do was add water.
Not the picture of delicious made-from-scratch Angel Food Cakes, which really are the best, but a necessity in our current situation.

I have to empty out the entire kitchen this weekend, and I don't want to throw away a bunch of perfectly good food (well, mostly good food), so I am trying to creatively cook up anything that is left in the freezer, fridge, and cupboards, with the remaining kitchen utensils that I have not yet packed.

I found a box of Angel Food Cake mix in the back of the kitchen cupboard. (Okay, it had passed the expiration date by a month or 4, but hubby was fine with it, and since I only had to add water and there were no creepy crawlies rooting in the mix, I said 'Why not?')

I should mention too that Angel Food Cake is the only cake hubby will eat...so I had to make it.

Oh, and I should mention too that I have had a checkered past with Angel Food Cake. The first one I ever tried to make from scratch, with a recipe my mother in law lovingly gave to me (she makes very delicious Angel Food Cakes). 

It turned out like a brownie-doughnut. Not fluffy, tall and airy. 
No, it was like a short, round brownie. 

This was not how Angel Food Cake should be. Not at all.But amazingly hubby LOVED it. He even asks me to make it again like that, but honestly I have no idea what I did wrong. I have never duplicated it. 

So here I had a box of Angel Food Cake, and a hubby who was insistent I should make it and not throw it away. Fine.
BUT.
I had already packed the bundt pan and the mixer.

What to do? 
I had cupcake liners and cupcake pans still unpacked, a big bowl, and a spatula. 

I lined the pans, and man did I MIX! I didn't really know my arm could move that fast. 
YOU try to imitate a mixer. 

I amused myself actually. I felt like those food network competitors when they hand mix to make whip cream on a competition show. So what that I was in my pajamas.....

I also had to guess at the cooking time. I may have guessed slightly wrong, so the end result certainly isn't 'Pin-Worthy' but certainly quite edible, and even tasty! 
Single Serving Sized Angel Food Cake.
They don't look fabulous.
Not Pin-Worthy for sure.
But still edible and pretty tasty.
Today we are going to drizzle some of the jam I found in the back of the cupboard (see last photo) on some of them and have some fruit-topped angel food cupcakes.

And tonight, we are having Ramen Noodle Pork Bowl. I just made that up too. I found too much Ramen, and actually have not yet cooked that pork because it is kinda small. We will see how it turns out. I just can't throw away perfectly good food. 
Too much Ramen, not enough Pork.
But necessity dictates something yummy out of this.
I also found these things hidden, still perfectly good so why throw them away? Perhaps Ramen Pork Beet Bowl??
Beets, Mulberry Jam and Plum Sauce.
Need to Use...Must be creative....
At any rate, it is challenging to come up with tasty dishes using things you don't normally use. Ah the fun of moving, moving with only a suitcase or two and then sending for the rest of your things that you have meticulously packed and stored. 

Fun? Wow. I will be so glad when it is finished. When we are done, and I don't have to work jam and beets and Ramen into my dinner cooking. 

Bon Appetite. 

Comments

  1. Oooh, you could do a stir fry with the plum sauce, and crepes with the jam, and... not sure about the beets. If they're pickled I eat them straight... borcht?? This assumes, of course, that you have additional items to add to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Especially as I have to make angel food cake later this week. I've never tried to make it from scratch.... I've heard it's difficult, so mad props to you (even if I didn't turn out so well). But I swear boys will eat anything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread