The Chicken Gang

As has been the common popular birthday present for me, this year again I got new running shoes.
Yes, I have gone on about new running shoes before....here.....and here....to share just a couple....

I am doing more walking instead of running these days, as my legs keep hurting when I tried to run lately, probably from my worn out shoes. So, that is the reason this year I was absolutely thrilled with these new shoes. They hug my heels so nicely and offer some great support for my overpronation and thus will help my sketchy knees and achy legs.
My awesome new shoes
My double excitement that we could find these shoes on island, where I could try them on and see that they fit nicely. I won't mention the price I had to pay for this convenience, as it was my birthday and I reasoned it was okay to overpay for such wonderful convenience and totally enjoy the instant gratification of getting these shoes. No more waiting for a 'mule' to bring them down to me after ordering on Amazon hoping the shoes will live up to their 4.6 star reviews. It is sometimes so worth the extravagant price to be able to walk out of the store wearing the product.

Alas, the small little enjoyments of living on and island, which most people don't have to consider.

Anyways, I got new shoes. And I was anxious to try them out first thing last week, the day of my birthday. Well after coffee of course. But I popped them on and headed out for a long-ish walk. The path down the neighboring street to the dock at the end of that road. On a normal day, the reward is a nice North Sound view and peace and quiet of early morning.
View of North Sound.
Completely enjoying my new shoes, which cupped my heels so nicely, and were so cushion-y, I picked up the pace and saw the North Sound ahead thinking how I would take a picture and totally enjoy the view.

However, this was not a normal day, as it turned out.

Before I made it to the sweet photo spot, I was met by the 'Chicken Gang!' A dozen or so somewhat aggressive chickens, well roosters really, took notice of me and approached me. 

The Chicken Gang approaches.
Well, I should say they started running towards me, as I walked to the end of the sidewalk. 
I stopped, a bit unsure what the heck was going on here. They stopped. I moved to the right, they moved to the right. 
They mirrored every move I made, inching closer and closer to me. It was darn threatening I tell ya.

A few got quite close to me, mirroring my every move. 
So I started telling them to 'SHOO!' And 'GIT!' And then I started laughing. Every time I swiped my hand in a direction to SHOO or GIT, they moved in that direction, and then moved right back when my arm went back to my side. It was hysterical. Every move I made they moved. 
I even did a little dance, and they moved to and fro with me. Hysterical. I was really laughing now.

Then I started to feel trapped. They were pretty close and not giving me space. 
A tad bit uncomfortable. What would they do to me if they did get right up next to me?!?!
I mean, what the heck was going on here that I was being threatened by CHICKENS?!?!?!

So I decided to plow through them and start walking back home.

They followed me.
They started following me. And then they started running after me. Full out run.

Full on Chase!
I mean, look at the one in the middle, I caught him at full run, his feet not even touching the ground!
I could not have planned the shadows if I tried. I am surprised the photos were a clear as they are, I was laughing so hard. I hadn't laughed like that in a while! There all by myself laughing at a gang of roosters. The best laughing there is.  

Eventually they gave up. They stopped and stared at me walking away. Seemed like they were thinking 'Till next time, woman.....', like villains. I was still laughing.


I returned home, victorious. Me, my new shoes, and a new hat I got too. Sporting my shirt from the One Mile Sea Swim last year. The 'Chicken Gang' didn't get me, this time. 

Sadly, I haven't been back this week. I will be back soon though. 
I wonder if the 'Chicken Gang' will still be there, or if they have moved territories. They weren't there last time I wandered there, so I believe they move around. 
If they are there, though, I will be ready. Ready for a good laugh. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread