Weekend Musings ~ Back at the 'Gym' and Puzzles

It was a long work week this week.
After the emotional last few weeks, I had to be knee deep in year end reports.
Ah the financial world. Though there is some satisfaction when the spreadsheets balance, it is often a long road to that point.

Add to that, there has been no exercise for the last 3 WEEKS! Yes, that is correct. 3 friggin weeks.
And it wasn't like I was eating carefully either.
It seems when one goes out the window, the other follows.
My lame and completely wrong justification, "Well I am not working out anyways....so why not have those fries, and yes I may as well have another cookie while I am at it!"

It was thus proved I have NO willpower. At all. None.
And I was feeling really crappy about it.

The evidence is, I ate 2 boxes of my favorite Girl Scout Cookies in 2 weeks. No willpower. At all. Had them for dinner one night. Feeling like big fat crap. My kryptonite, I don't care if they are called Caramel DeLites or Samoas, I am too weak to stop eating when I reach the recommended serving size. And then, since I am over, well there is no stopping me.

Photo Credit, Author or Copyright Owner:
Girl Scouts, USA

I was in a definite rut. I was out of sorts, off the exercise wagon, jumped off the healthy living ship.

So after 3 weeks, I am feeling like a balloon. Blown up BIG. Sadly not full of air. Full of FOOD now sitting in a few places that I don't want it, and those pants that used to fit me good are now a wee bit tight. I forced myself out the door this morning and hit my favorite 'gym'.

My Favorite Gym
photo courtesy of Raige Creations

I have signed up for a one mile sea swim in June. So this has been my weekend gym. (Until lately, that is.) I mentioned to hubby, more to motivate myself to get out the door really, that I have about 8 weeks until the sea swim. 8 WEEKS!!!!!

So he said, "you are gonna have to swim every day!" I wish. And yes, that is him being supportive. Wonder if I could really work that in to my schedule......

But I am back at swimming anyways. And I have to say, swimming never really feels like a workout to me. Sure, when I stop to turn around and then when I am finished, I am wicked thirsty and I am breathing heavy. But I can still breathe, I can't feel the sweat dripping down my face, and my muscles are not aching and knees are not creaking. I love this workout. I can swim just over a half mile non stop now. Some days I feel like I can go another half, but haven't done it yet. BUT, 8 WEEKS!!! Maybe next weekend will double that and prove I can do this.

And I will try hit the real gym on my lunch this week. Though I am actually dreading the rowing machine. At least it is better than the treadmill. A little. (More on that later if I can bring myself to get on that treadmill again and finish that blog.)

The one thing that has been totally great over the past week -- the puzzle I bought on Monday.
After my trip to Buffalo (BFLO), I vowed to get a puzzle.
Hubby was on board too, we would do it together!
He said, "Get a challenging one!", whatever that means I was not sure.

Get mug on Amazon

To the store I went on my last Monday lunch break. And was mostly disappointed in the selection.
I am not sure what I was looking for. In fact, I didn't even know what would be a challenging puzzle.
I decided it was not the extra large pieces, we can still see, mostly, I figured.
So -- regular size.
And -- no kiddie ones.
But 500 piece, 1000 piece, 1500 piece, 2000 piece?
Well with those choices, I assumed 500 piece was not as challenging as 1000 piece. But over that was darn right intimidating.
So -- 1000 piece.
The imagery was the main disappointment. Animals in the jungle. No. Underwater scene. Nope, I liked it sure but thought it too cliche. Cats. Big Nope for hubby for sure. City scenes. Hmmmm. It was between London and a Paris balcony. I actually cringed at the site of Big Ben, hubby has been relentlessly watching the Brexit fiasco, and I am quite sick of everything UK at the moment.
So -- a quaint Paris Balcony it was.

Brought it home, proudly. "Ready?" I asked with excitement. Nope, not interested, not happening at that time. I opened it Tuesday morning, thinking it would be great to sit with a cup of coffee and give it a go. Hubby was not interested yet. So I found maybe 5 pieces that fit, and was pulling out the edge pieces as I went, as one does at the beginning of a puzzle. Then I had to go to work.

Puzzle Day 1
Progress - mostly done without me.
photo courtesy of Raige Creations
When I got home, 'someone' had taken it upon himself to take over the puzzle.
And put ALL the flower pieces he found in a baggie off to the right, out of the way.

I was greeted with "Why did you get such a damn hard puzzle?!?!?"
Mouth open, I said, "You said get a challenging one! And look how far you got!!"
He said, with a hint of whine, "But I didn't finish it." 
Gaping mouth, with heavy disbelief, "WHAT?!"
He said, with disappointment, "I gave myself today to finish it and it is not finished."

Really? Like the adult I am, I said, "That was an unrealistic expectation, honey."
Yeah, I really said that. Then I laughed at the teacher-like quality that had. But really?
What a bunch of old farts we are.
He added, "and YOU are doing all the f$#%king flowers."

We have been thoroughly enjoying it. We sometimes work on it separately, most of the time together. We applaud each other when we find a particularly hard to find piece, we criticize each other's mistakes, we hand each other a piece that will fit in the section the other is working on. I have been questioned on the difficulty of the puzzle several times, and apparently there are far too many friggin flowers in it. But, it has been great. Makes us silly even. Like when we each found a piece that put together a tiny car in the puzzle, and he said the cutest-ever-from-a-grown-man 'Beep Beep'when the pieces clicked together. I laughed so hard, and then we started singing songs we could think of  that had 'beep beep' in it. You would be surprised, there are several!
Best $23 bucks I have spent in, well, ever I think.

Puzzle Day 6
I did the rest of the sky and lower left set of flowers, hubby is beating me his progress on the rest.
photo courtesy of Raige Creations
I must say, if one week is any indication, it is exactly the thing that we needed.
You know, sometimes you fall in to a rut. Separately, then together. Weekends had become tense, each of us on edge. The time we had to unwind and enjoy, we were just too stressed and worn out and in a rut and that is hard not to let out in some way or another. So, us being the only ones around, let it out to each other. If this is empty nest-er syndrome, yes, we were there.
But, a puzzle to concentrate on, unwind, share. It seems to have taken that edge right off. We are laughing so much, we are enjoying time together. Funny how that works. Did I mention what a pair of old farts we are now?

Not bad for one week. But. He has said more than once, "Why are there so many f$#%king flowers.", and "I am coming with you to get the next puzzle."
Maybe our anniversary present.
Get on Amazon


Comments

  1. I had to laugh at your puzzle story. There is no deadline for finishing a puzzle as long as you enjoy doing it at some time or another. I go to my puzzle (still unfinished) several times a day and find a few pieces or more, and am satisfied with that. You remember that fur on the cat? Well it has been the most challenging part of the puzzle, just like your flowers. Anyway, glad to hear you both are enjoying this activity together. And, thanks for the ideas for mugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread