Thursday Thought of the Day ~ It's A Beautiful Day To Leave Me Alone

I can be friendly and outgoing.
I sometimes thoroughly enjoy conversations with strangers.

Sometimes I keep my head down and try to avoid any conversations with strangers at all.

I have even been known to be frowning in the grocery store to avoid someone saying something to me. Other women seem to regularly strike up conversations with me in the grocery store...I think the place I live is just filled with friendly people, or do other people regularly strike up conversations with strangers about what is on the shelves in the grocery store?

Or it could be that they are interpreting me talking to myself as me trying to strike up conversation with them. That could be it. But many a conversation has happened, about beans, ground lamb, chips, produce the most.

from brooklybackroom.com
buy here
Another time, we actually had someone ask my hubby if he was Mormon in a home improvment store. We were chatting about gardening and garden lights, and she was very nice, but you could tell she had something on her mind. Suddenly, she said 'I am sorry, but I have to ask...'
I should explain, at the time hubby was sporting a big ole beard and slightly longish hair, and I do believe he was wearing a hat that may have exuded more Amish than Mormon. So maybe she was drunk or something because Mormons don't look Amish. Yes, it is plausible she may have been drunk, but that explanation is another day's blog. It was entertaining nonetheless.

So, as I said, sometimes sparking up conversations with strangers is interesting.

But sometimes we just are not in the mood. Sometimes we just want to go about our business and be left along. Am I right?
I am travelling tomorrow, and yes, I may just create my own kindle cover like the one in the picture, so no one on the airplane feels they have to ask me any questions. Like where I am from, or strike up a conversation about where we are coming from which happens to be a popular tourist destination. Almost every flight I have take to or from here involves discussion about the place - like or dislikes or the beaches or snorkeling or diving or history or whatever. Normally I don't mind, as I have said sometimes this type thing leads to interesting conversations and can be enjoyable. But.

PointlessPosters.com
buy here
This time it will be a beautiful day to leave me alone. I don't feel like small talk, I don't feel like explaining why I live here, or talk about how I don't dive but I sure like snorkeling. I feel like getting to my destination to spend some time with family, to celebrate the life of my late brother, to grieve. So, no thank you, I do not want to hear about your visit to your grandchildren, or how you hadn't been here in 20 years and oh my how the island it has changed. No. Thank. You.

Some days we just want to be left to ourselves. Sometimes a nice "Hi" does not mean we are up for a follow up conversation. Am I right?

This leaves me pondering how to get OUT of a conversation and trying not be rude.....
I did Google it, but no, I am not looking to get out of depression nor do I need networking tips, the answers just don't seem to fit my situation. The fact that I don't want to deal with small talk does not really mean I want to be entirely rude. I am okay with a little rude, but not entirely.

So I ask you, what are your tricks for nicely not conversing with strangers?

Comments

  1. I tried to post a comment and messed up so am trying again. I take books on airplanes and get it out to read as soon as I am in my seat. Works most times for being left alone. You may not feel like reading on this trip but a prop might not hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread