Weekend Musings ~ File That Under...

So I got a new filing cabinet. I am bizarrely excited about this.

Like, butterflies in my stomach excited about this. Why? 

First of all, it has been more than 7 years since I have had a filing cabinet in my home. When we made the last BIG move, I left the $3 filing cabinet I scored while in WNY. (I LOVED that filing cabinet too - who gets a metal 2-drawer filing cabinet for $3?? Awe.Some)

Second, I had fallen in to the terrible habit of piling up papers that needed to be sorted and filed. I had bins I was keeping files in. Bins that are meant for blankets in the living room that you can put your feet on as an ottoman or sit on. These bins are not meant for filing. So, it was awkward trying to file in them. Instead I just piled up the papers and threw them on top of the few files I DID have in there. 

Third, in addition to the above, I had a bankers box full of papers filed somewhat haphazardly, as this box is from when I left my last job (more than 2 years ago). I was less than happy to have to leave that job, and just took the all the shite I had in my desk, and the nicely organized drawer of my personal documents, and threw it in the damn box and stormed out of the office. Ultimately, I was happy with the change, but there are still some frustrating things about it that irk me. Thus, that box has been mostly untouched for over 2 years. Every time I tried to empty that box, I felt tense, angry, overwhelmed. And gave up. My feelings towards that box, though completely unreasonable, took away any desire to deal with it .

Fourth, I have been searching on the local selling site for a used filing cabinet forever. Well, probably 7 years, but that feels like forever when piling up papers is making you feel like you should be on an episode of Hoarders. I never found one that I wanted to pay upwards of $100 for. That is nuts! Especially since I got one for $3 all those years ago. And let me tell you there was some crap filing cabinets that people were trying to get that $100 for. C.R.A.P. No, a coat of spray paint could not fix these, and certainly I am not dropping that kind of money on something that I would have to put some elbow grease in to, to make it at least pretty enough to be in your garage. 

source

So, search I did and finally, when I found a nice one, that looked like wood, no spray paint or prettying up, that was a smidgen under $100, I thought it was about time to bite the bullet and get a new damn filing cabinet. It was time. It was overdue. So I messaged the seller and agreed to go take a look at it.

I was so pleasantly surprised at the condition, I knew I had to have it. Like, I thought "DAMN, something has to be wrong with this....". I opened the drawers, they closed so easily and softly. I searched for a  ding, scratch, any imperfection. None. The wheels wheeled like buttah, I tell ya. Smooth. I decided "Yeah, I like this. Yeah, I want this!" BUT, I wondered if I could get the price down a bit, though I would have paid the full amount as finding this was like finding a needle in a haystack. I knew it was a 'once in a blue moon' find. BUT. Wasn't it a custom to haggle? Well, it sure wouldn't hurt to try.

I offered less, and she took it! Not even a counter offer. And then - she offered to help me carry it down the 3 flights of stairs to get to my car! Bless her!! That filing cabinet was so solid, and frikin heavy, man was I thrilled she helped me. We had a time of it too. It was hot, we were sweating, and breathing heavy. Plus, she had to go back to work. I took up her lunch hour! I knew I won the jackpot. I love this filing cabinet. 

It fit in my trunk, managed to get it out of my trunk and wheel it in the house (the wheels work so well!!! Better than like buttah) Of course, I went a little further down that 'filing can be funrabbit hole, and bought colored filing folders. They are awesome. They don't have to be that dreary green, they can be colorful! Why on earth did I not get colorful hanging files earlier?!

I put in in a nook and actually filled it with that pile of papers - AND - that confounded box! I really do love this thing. It looks so nice. It is sturdy. It locks (I need a new key, but still...)

Isn't she lovely? My beautiful filing cabinet and colorful hanging folders.

It is perfect. There are now no papers hanging around waiting to be sorted and filed. NONE! I bring them home and pop 'em in the cabinet and done! 

I know, I know! Pretty crazy that I am gushing about filing papers. I know. It is clear that I have lost a few marbles and find this crap exciting. And I am even blathering on about it. Well, we all have our quirks. 

Now, I must switch efforts to cleaning. I have said before, cleaning is not my idea of a good time. that is why I have now scheduled an appointment with professionals. They will come in and give the place a nice full clean. Today! Of course, I have cleaned a bit to show that we really don't live like slobs. And the clutter, been tiding up the clutter for days. 

Clean before the cleaners. We DO have standards you know. 


And, that hubby swept the floor and that we have been doing laundry all morning and are exhausted and so want a clean house but can't even agree that the dishwasher is a great invention, nor that it is better to put that pile of masks in a drawer instead of sprawled out across the entire hall table. He prefers seeing things out, I prefer them put away, I am good at organizing, he is...well....not. 

The fact that someone will be coming to properly clean is such a relief. 


And, tomorrow I get my new sewing machine. This is turning out to be a good weekend. Filing and sewing. But now that I say that, my quirkiness just feels like I am getting old. But, at least an organized, clean living, looking forward to getting back to my sewing projects old. I am bizarrely excited about my new sewing machine as well, but that will be a musing for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread