Music Monday! Moonglow

A wonderful memory that came back to me, thanks to my sister.
Our Dad playing this song throughout our childhood, a memory of his from his teenage and young man years.

Our dad was a musician, among other things. His mother a piano and organ teacher, back when jobs for the wives and mothers were unusual unless in times of economic need. Which was the case back during the Great Depression, when my father was a teenager.

She taught him the skills, and he was a very decent pianist and organist.
She taught us too, when we were little. Though I never practiced like I should have, and it was evident during my lessons. I think I was 5 years old or so. No surprise there that practicing was never long enough or serious enough.
There were too many other things to keep me occupied when I was that age, like the fish tank that was right near the piano. Hard to stay focused on boring scales when little fish-ies were so much more interesting.

But this song was a favorite of our dad. He played it regularly, in between his church songs he practiced for during the week so he was ready for the Sunday service. Or when he was practicing for a wedding he was asked to play for at the church. Once the practicing was done, he threw this one in for fun. Didn't need any music for this one, knew it by heart.


We used to sit on the bench with him and watch his fingers expertly flow across the keys.
Until he hit a wrong one and mumbled 'geeze' or 'goshdarnitall' or 'sonofagun' or some other child friendly cussing, or grunted in some way, but kept right on going. No mistake ever stopped him.
He said he kept going hoping no one would notice. We rarely did notice unless he made some noise (see above) and shook his head, clearly disappointed with himself, while continuing on.

We also liked to sit under the piano while he played. We had a little grand piano, I believe a Quarter Grand piano. We loved to go under that great wooden body, like a little clubhouse. What a sound under there while the music was playing, too! It fully engulfed you, you were immersed in the music.

Good memories. And I had forgotten about this song. But as soon as I heard it, I knew it. I could hum along, I was back at our old house, on the cold linoleum floors in the playroom, where the piano was. I imagine it took him back in time too, when he played it. Sometimes he would get a faraway look, and it seemed like we interrupted his thoughts when we would move or ask a question or bicker with each other. He never did share any of his memories about the song, just the music that he learned many years before.

I guess he just enjoyed his own memories, and enjoyed sharing some good music with his family.
I enjoy the memories he gave us while playing this song, thanks to a sister who help me remember.

Comments

  1. Cindy (Mock) KailburnApril 14, 2020 at 11:52 AM

    It's as if you're describing my childhood with Mom. My grandma tried to teach me piano too. LOL we had a fish tank by the piano and organ as well. My mom would practice weekly...songs of all kinds and for church as well. Ah, beautiful playing here! My mom was at the Baptist Church on Staley Rd on GI, playing organ while my grandma played the piano. Which church did your dad play in? <3 Thank you for beautiful, melodic memories. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, too funny you had the same set up at home. My dad played at St. Martins, on Baseline Rd. Small world.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Share you thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Music Monday! Just Dance

Toekini Anyone? It's GIVEAWAY time!

Weekend Musings ~ Will Walk for Bread